1-800-PetMeds

Friday, January 1, 2010

Include Your Pets in New Year's Resolutions

/PRNewswire/ -- A new year is upon us and, as is tradition, resolutions are made to do more and better in our lives. Pet experts at North Shore Animal League America, the world's largest no-kill animal rescue and adoption organization, encourage pet owners to include their animals when committing to these inspired goals. Dr. Kathleen Dunn, Veterinary Chief of Staff and Vice President of Medical Services at the Animal League's Alex Lewyt Veterinary Medical Center and Pet Health Center, says that adhering to resolutions intended to keep your pets happy and healthy can add years to their lives, fun to their days and much joy to a home.

"By taking a proactive stance in regard to your pet's well-being, you can often ward off illness or have an early alert to a condition with the potential to threaten your dog's or cat's health. In addition, a routine health-check up helps build that all-important relationship between you, your pet and the veterinarian," advises Dr. Dunn.

Here are the Animal League's Top 10 resolutions for pet owners:
1. I will take my pets to the vet for a routine check-up and make sure all
my pet's vaccinations and treatments, such as flea, tick and heartworm,
are up-to-date.
2. I will make certain that my pet is spayed or neutered, so that he is
not contributing to the pet overpopulation that leads to millions of
innocent animals euthanized each year. (www.spayusa.org)
3. I will pay more attention to my pet's oral care and begin a
teeth-brushing regimen, as oral care is integral to my pet's whole
well-being and dental problems have been known to lead to other
illnesses in pets.
4. I will keep my pet groomed for good health: brushing his coat, cleaning
his ears and trimming his nails.
5. I will keep my pet on a proper nutritional plan that's balanced,
age-appropriate and suited to any existing medical conditions.
6. I will make sure my pet gets sufficient exercise to keep him healthy
and fit.
7. I will stimulate my pet's mind. Teaching him a new trick, devoting time
to interactive playtime and introducing a new toy can help keep him
vibrant.
8. I will hug my pet every day, assuring him that he is an invaluable part
of my life.
9. I will not buy a pet from a pet store or through irresponsible
breeders.
10. When adding a pet to my family, I will adopt from a shelter to help
reduce pet overpopulation and euthanasia, and most importantly, to
save a precious life. (www.AnimalLeague.org)


Animal lovers can learn more about pet adoption, health and well-being and North Shore Animal League America's mission to rescue, nurture and adopt homeless pets at www.AnimalLeague.org .

-----
www.fayettefrontpage.com
Fayette Front Page
www.georgiafrontpage.com
Georgia Front Page
Follow us on Twitter: @GAFrontPage

No comments: